"No matter how terrified you may be, own your fear and take that leap anyway because whether you land on your feet or on your butt, the journey is well worth it."
-- Laurie Laliberte
"If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough."
-- Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."
-- Anais Nin

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Allergy Friendly and Tastes Good!

It seems the older I get, the more allergies and sensitivities, especially food sensitivities, present themselves. This is why I lean toward whole grains (if any at all), fresh, unprocessed meats, and real vegetables . . . lots of vegetables.

A while back, I posted the recipe for my take on my mother's glazed carrots. Well, this one has no processed sugar. It's also dairy free because I cut out the butter, and . . . it was sort of an accident.

I'm willing to bet there are other versions of the same recipe out there, but I came up with this combination all on my own while throwing an easy dinner into the oven a few weeks ago. I also made it again last night. Unfortunately, I like it so much, it didn't sit on a plate long enough for pictures, so you'll just have to take my word that it looks as good as it tastes.

Because I take short cuts where I can get away with it, I began with a bag of frozen carrots. If you prefer fresh, cut and blanch them before you begin. Just please, don't use canned.


Honey Garlic Roasted Carrots

1lb bag frozen carrots OR 1lb fresh carrots cut into rounds and blanched
1/4c oil (I prefer canola)
1/4c honey
salt
pepper
garlic powder (or 2 cloves fresh garlic, chopped)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees farenheit
Line cookie sheet or baking pan with aluminum foil
Pour oil onto sheet to coat bottom
Lay still-frozen carrots on pan in a single layer and toss lightly (They don't need to be coated, just pick up a bit of oil so they don't stick.)
Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
Cook at 400f for about 20 minutes
Remove from oven and toss again so they don't stick
Return to oven to finish cooking, about 10 minutes or just until they begin to caramelize around the edges
Remove from oven and immediately drizzle with honey
Let stand about 2 to 3 minutes on baking pan
Serve hot

This is my new favorite recipe for carrots.

Happy Cooking!

2 comments:

  1. I love glazed carrots. This is such an easy recipe. I can't wait to try this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So funny, Roz! I thought of you while I was writing this post.

      Delete