"No matter how terrified you may be, own your fear and take that leap anyway because whether you land on your feet or on your butt, the journey is well worth it."
-- Laurie Laliberte
"If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough."
-- Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."
-- Anais Nin

Sunday, April 7, 2013

We Interrupt National Poetry Month . . .

A couple of years ago, I wrote this post which included a link to a pattern for slipper socks. That pattern was written by a designer named Sharon Klinsky. Well, several weeks ago, I was contacted by a woman who asked me to make a pair of the socks for her mother's birthday, which happens to be today.

Unfortunately, I had to decline. My schedule is too tight these days to be able to consign crochet work. Besides, I'm horrible with gauge, which is why I tend to work with items like kitchen linens and scarves that don't require an accurate gauge. It was too important a project for too important a person.

Although the potential customer/client was quite disappointed, my experience was bittersweet. I was thrilled that, of all the crocheters she could have chosen to do the work, she chose me. And yet I was horribly disappointed that my own honesty forced me to turn her down. Why? Patience, Grasshopper, I'm getting there.


You see, this woman was searching specifically for this pattern and found it through my blog. She had thought the pattern was lost to the ether because it has been around for so long and because it has been out of print for so long. But we craftspeople, crocheters, and others of our kind . . . we, just by practicing a hobby we so love, preserve the past, create a history. In this age of mass production, we make memories. We bind the past to the present, the present to the future. We preserve traditions, and sometimes, we touch lives, or they touch us.

Hi Laurie,

I have to tell you how happy I am to have seen your Etsy and blog online! I have been looking for info and a pattern for SLIPPER SOCKS...which led me to your 2010 blog about the socks and the genius designer, Sharon Klinsky (my mother)! 
My mom is amazing and talented and so creative, but she has not been able to crochet or knit in 13 years since she had a stroke. She has dealt more serious health issues, and the loss of my father, these past few years - but remains amazing and strong. 
She is turning 75 soon, and I want to do something special. Would you be interested in making some of her design slipper socks for me to buy and surprise her? She would be so shocked I found this!!
Let me know if possible, and if it is then we can talk details.
Thanks for making my day just by seeing your rave review of her design!

The woman who contacted me was Sharon Klinsky's daughter. (Whose name I've chosen to withhold for the sake of privacy.) Today is Sharon Klinsky's 75th birthday. So happy birthday, Sharon. I hope it's terrific!

And to the rest of you, Happy Crocheting!

No comments:

Post a Comment