"No matter how terrified you may be, own your fear and take that leap anyway because whether you land on your feet or on your butt, the journey is well worth it."
-- Laurie Laliberte
"If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough."
-- Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."
-- Anais Nin

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Matt Posner

My initial intent with this project was to post one long poem or two shorter ones from each poet. Matt sort of messed that up. I fell madly in love with this poem the first time I read it, but instead chose to borrow "Famous Fathers," the one I posted earlier this month. Still, I couldn't get this one off my mind. My decision to post each poem separately had a lot to do with this particular piece. I really hope you all enjoy it as much as I do.


Vampire Poet


When I was one-and-twenty

I heard a vampire say,

Give nuts and guts and gullet,

but not your poems away.

Give veins away, and arteries,

But not your words for free.

Oh, I was a youthful poet,

No use to talk to me.

When I was one-and-thirty,

The vampire said again,

The words given forth from spirit,

Will draw you down to pain.

They yield you shame and misery.

You know not what you do.

Now I am one-and-forty.

The vampire's words are true.


Originally from Miami, Florida, Matt Posner is a New York City based novelist and special educator. Matt is the Dean of School of the Ages, America's Greatest Magic School.  Matt's poetry, featured in this post, is part of his participation in The Exploration Project, New York's premiere avant-garde improvisational band. Talk to Matt at his facebook fan page "School of the Ages Series" and at his website http://schooloftheages.webs.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment