"No matter how terrified you may be, own your fear and take that leap anyway because whether you land on your feet or on your butt, the journey is well worth it."
-- Laurie Laliberte
"If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough."
-- Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."
-- Anais Nin

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Douglas J. Lane

I'll be honest; when I first began reading Doug's submission to the Resistance Front anthology, I rolled my eyes and maybe whined a little. I seriously thought I was going to be stuck reading another 20 pages of oh-my-God-I-can't-take-any-more. The last few pieces I read before "Exhuming Harry Truman" simply didn't make the cut. It happens.

I just realized that makes it sound like I hated the beginning, which is not the case at all. It just took me a page to fall into the story. I was so happy I soldiered on because it was well worth it. Although I firmly believe every piece in the book belongs there, that memory makes Doug's a truly special story for me.


Doug's short story "Exhuming Harry Truman"
appears in the Resistance Front anthology
The Girl On The Bench At Hudson Park


Soft eyes, once;
Tender brown tunnels
To the soul, grown steely;
Too much of the world watched
From strangers' arms
Behind ragged blinds, past midnight.


Red lips washed to pale quivers
pout back from the glass,
forgetful of the warmth
an honest kiss can bring.
No coin in this realm for such
pleasantries.


The embraces are harsh;
probing hands do not
caress, but grope,
voices with hollow words,
no capacity to bear the weight of
wanted words.


Black night, empty with the
fullness of another offer accepted --
for the bench is as cold
as the light from the bare
bulb in the ceiling of the room
around the corner.




Doug Lane is a writer of multiple sorts. Today was poetry day.
He's a transplanted New Yorker who makes his home in Houston, TX.


Find Doug on twitter @finderdoug
More of Doug's work can be found on Pure Francis.

No comments:

Post a Comment