"No matter how terrified you may be, own your fear and take that leap anyway because whether you land on your feet or on your butt, the journey is well worth it."
-- Laurie Laliberte
"If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough."
-- Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."
-- Anais Nin

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Douglas J. Lane

I don't know Doug well. What I do know is that when his story "Exhuming Harry Truman" hit my desk, I had to recommend it be added to Resistance Front. I loved it. I still do.

Another of Doug's short stories appears here
Summer Turned The Carousel


A magic hand without a wand
makes the horses buck and sway;
Wish I was young, for a handy excuse
to slip into the saddle, seize the reigns,
ride until twilight again.


The children laugh ‘til nearly blue,
around and back, then up and through
my line of sight once more.
Engrossed, they ride as pioneers
before the Rio Grande did surely go.


And I picture you astride
the spotted one with wild eyes
and knowing smile, trimmed in green--
tangled fingers, yours and mine
As summer turned the carousel.




Doug Lane is a writer of multiple sorts. Today was poetry day.
He's a transplanted New Yorker who makes his home in Houston, TX.


Find Doug on twitter @finderdoug
More of Doug's work can be found on Pure Francis.

2 comments:

  1. Doug is my brother. As much as it thrills me to see his work in print, I am ever so much more thrilled when I see that others like it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pleasure to "meet" you, Michelle. Doug's other poem is scheduled for next Saturday, the 28th. And I'm not the only one who has good things to say about "...Harry Truman." Several KAS members have mentioned to me how much they enjoyed the story. Doug's work is definitely well respected among the ranks.

      Delete