"No matter how terrified you may be, own your fear and take that leap anyway because whether you land on your feet or on your butt, the journey is well worth it."
-- Laurie Laliberte
"If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough."
-- Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."
-- Anais Nin

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Finding My Zen and Playing Catch Up

Dominoes 3-Piece Set by Laurie Laliberte

I haven't done a "here's what's going on" post in a while and I figure you're all due for a big update, so here goes. . .

using scrap yarns
to work out new patterns
I think I've gone a bit knit crazy. If you've seen my Ravelry projects lately you may have noticed that there are quite a few knitted scarves just completed or in progress and not a whole lot of crocheting going on. Well kids, there are only so many hours in a day, and much of my day is spent working on new crochet creations that are turned into the beautiful (if I do say so myself) patterns you'll find in my Etsy and Ravelry shops. The most recent of those is the Dominoes collection which is probably my most complex design to date. Just about an hour ago I finished the basics of a collection based on three different motif squares which I'm hoping to turn into an ebook that will be available on Amazon. I suppose all this crochet work makes me feel a bit guilty when I try to crochet for pleasure. Whenever I pick up a crochet hook I feel as though I should be using it for something profitable rather than something a little more frivolous. Even the summer hat I recently finished for my niece was made for function more than fashion (but it IS adorable). Yeah I know, I'm hopelessly Type A.

Claire by Lynn Anne Banks
Anyhow, since I'm still a newbie knitter, there's nothing profitable about a pair of needles in my hands and I'm loving it! I'm getting better at it and finding I'm almost fearless about taking on projects. My most recent undertaking is the most gorgeous lace scarf. In fact, I'm currently working on three different lace scarves with varying degrees of difficulty. I find my Zen when I knit. It keeps me calm and makes me happy just as crocheting has always done. However, I wouldn't count on seeing any knit designs from me any time soon. I'm a much better crocheter than I am a knitter.

What sort of projects are you all working on this summer? Leave a comment and share a link or two. Maybe we'll all find our next project.

Oh, by the way, one of those great patterns I'm working on will be your Christmas in July present, so stay tuned! I'll post it on July 25th.
Adorable Ruffles by Sharon Maher

4 comments: